Skip to content

United States Lapbook

Posted in Homeschooling

I put this together as an overview unit on the states. Some of the books that we are using as resources are:

Scholastic Atlas of the United States

Scholastic Encyclopedia of the United States

Which Way USA by Highlights (I was able to get the set on eBay for a great deal.)

The States (dvds by the History Channel)

Please note: The individual files below that were hosted at hslaunch are currently not available. You can now download all of the files for this lapbook from one location here: United States Lapbook Components Download.

Here are some images of the completed lapbook:

States Lapbook Cover

Cover Image

States Lapbook Inside 1

State Flags Pocket and Interesting Facts : Keep State Flags in this pocket. Write some interesting facts that you learn about the states during your studies.

State Trivia Pocket and My State : Keep State Trivia in this pocket. Write interesting information about your state.

State Trivia

South Dakota and Tennessee
Texas and Utah

States Lapbook Inside 4

Vermont and Virginia
Washington and West Virginia
Wisconsin and Wyoming
Fifty Nifty United States : Use as is or as copywork.

You can download a blank states map to be labeled here or a blank states map with star for state capitals to be labeled here. We also liked this map that shows the postal abbreviations for the states.

New to Lapbooking? Check out my Lapbooking Made Easy series.

54 Comments

1. Pamela
    Pamela

Your lapbook looks wonderful! Thank you for your time and for sharing it! 🙂
    Pamela

August 6, 2009
  2. Kathy
    Kathy

I love this lapbook! We are studying the states, also. Is there a link for the layered books for each state with the blue maps on them? Excellent work. Thank you for sharing.

September 22, 2009
  3. Devildogwife
    Devildogwife

The layered books are all of the links labeled state components. Thanks!

September 22, 2009
  4. Lori
    Lori

Thank you so much for posting this. We are studying the 50 states this year and have been using a workbook which can get so boring with all the fill in the blanks. I love your lapbook! What a great idea! What did you do for the state bird and state flower? Did you had draw them or cut and paste from another website? We are excited to get started…

September 28, 2009
    • I just had her write out the name of the state bird and flower.

September 29, 2009
  5. This is absolutely beautiful! I had an idea of what I wanted to do with the 50 states, but not enough time to put it together. It’s like you read my mind. So thankful most of the preparation was done for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

August 29, 2011
  6. Thank you, I’m saving these files for when my boys are old enough!

January 5, 2012
  7. OHGosh I can tell that a lot of work went into this. Thank you soooo much for sharing!!
    Kelly W recently posted..I am a ChristianMy Profile

January 6, 2012
  8. I was wondering how you put the layers into the lapbook? The middle blue pages with the states on them.
    Stephanie Marie recently posted..Tonight…..My Profile

January 8, 2012
  9. Just wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing this! It is amazing! I am planning to do this with my third grade class!

February 8, 2012
  10. Amy Bias
    Amy Bias

Thank you so much for sharing this! It is exactly what I was looking for! Beautiful Job!

July 31, 2012
  11. Laura
    Laura

Would you mind posting a how-to or linking to a site on how to assemble this lapbook with all it’s layers? I am new to lapbooking. Thanks!

August 21, 2012
    • I’ll see if I can put something together for you. 🙂

August 23, 2012
  12. airam nevels
    airam nevels

Thank you so much for reposting this link. i just started working on the 50 States with my daugter and this is great!

September 27, 2012
    • You are very welcome. I’m glad you’re able to use it! 🙂

September 27, 2012
  13. […] to dive into the specific states. If you want to lapbook your way through the states, I have a free United States Lapbook on my blog. I’m currently adding state notebooking pages to my blog as […]

October 6, 2012
  14. Debra
    Debra

I love this lapbook idea. I have never seen these before, but I am off and running with topic ideas. 🙂 Thanks for sharing this…I can’t wait to try them. I only have students learn about one state, but everything will be neatly tucked into one lap folder.

November 11, 2012
  15. Barbie Fisher
    Barbie Fisher

Thanks for the wonderful downloads. We are taking a trip to Florida and I printed the components and flags for the states we are going through. I am going to use them to make a lapbook about our trip.

February 12, 2013
  16. Helen
    Helen

Wow, was just contemplating creating a lapbook for my daughter about the states. She is working on the US Trail Guide but she is having trouble retaining. She loves lapbooks so I was thinking of putting one together for her so she can retain a little better. I had written out a plan already and was looking for some templates and ideas but you have done all the work for me, it is exactly what I was looking for. Will be adding the state trees but that is about it. Perfect, thanks a bunch, you saved me hours of work.

March 14, 2013
  17. Kelly
    Kelly

Thank you so much for your time and effort to give this to us.

April 22, 2013
  18. Cathy
    Cathy

This looks wonderful! The kids are excited to work on it.

April 22, 2013
  19. Betty
    Betty

Thank you for a great lap book! I also found a great resource (usps-state-abbreviations-quiz on squidoo.com) for the state birds and flowers that I hope will go along with your lap book.

April 22, 2013
  20. Gretchen
    Gretchen

This is beautiful! Great job! Do you have a link for your cover image? I love it.

April 23, 2013
  21. Carissa
    Carissa

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

July 25, 2013
  22. beckie
    beckie

Hi I am really excited about this lap book, THANK-YOU so much. I was wondering if you have the downloads on one file so that I can just print the entire thing and not down loading each component individually, specifically with the state flags. I plan on printing them on card stock and want to use my paper wisely?

May 1, 2014
    • Let me see if I still have access to the master file. At the time that I created these files, I was limited on the file size that I could upload, so I had to break the files down into smaller sizes. I should be able to upload the file if I can locate the master file on my external hard drive. I no longer have access to the program in which I created these files, so it all depends on if I have it saved in a shareable format. 🙂

May 1, 2014
    • The complete lapbook is now available in one file for easy download.

January 9, 2015
  23. Sophie
    Sophie

Hello Heather, I was wondering if you were ever able to create one big file that included everything instead of the digital downloads. If so, could you send one my way? I’m working with two girls this summer and this will be our first lapbook 🙂

June 26, 2014
    • Unfortunately, no, I haven’t been able to make one yet. I’m still trying to locate all the files. I still hope to be able to do it, but I need to find all of the files first.

June 26, 2014
    • The complete lapbook is now available in one big file for easy download.

January 9, 2015
  24. Melanie
    Melanie

I am very interested in using your lap book but when I clicked on it – I got a message saying the file was damaged.

July 21, 2014
    • Could you tell me which file you had an issue with? There are quite a few files for this one. Thanks!

July 24, 2014
  25. sharon
    sharon

Absolutely love this lapbook!! Thank you soo much for putting this together

October 8, 2014
  26. […] of my favorite U.S. Geography lapbooks is from Marine Corps Nomads: Free 50 States Lapbook.  She does a beautiful job with lapbooking and offers so many free ideas and templates of all […]

October 28, 2014
  27. I love this lapbook!! It is all so simply put so my boys really understand each individual state, thank you so much for putting this all together!

January 12, 2015
  28. Beckie
    Beckie

Thanks! I’m so exited you compile the lap book into one file. Thank you for taking the time to do that!

January 12, 2015
  29. Julie
    Julie

You don’t have a template for the Regions of the United States (except in the large PDF containing most everything else), nor instructions for what you used that for. ?

March 16, 2015
  30. I can not find a link to download this lapbook. I LOVE IT!!!!! Is it still available?

July 16, 2015
    • Just click on the United States Lapbook Components Download link right about the first image. 🙂

July 16, 2015
  31. L Vaughn
    L Vaughn

Looks great! Thank you! Looking in mid to late August means I am very grateful for all your work!
    When I open the PDF, I get the first 31 pages fine and then only “Whoops! There was a problem loading this page” for the rest 🙁 Is that me or the website?

August 19, 2015
  32. L Vaughn
    L Vaughn

My bad! My computer wouldn’t preview those pages, but they downloaded fine. Fabulous!!

August 19, 2015
    • I’m not sure why it does that, but I’m glad you were able to download them without an issue. 🙂

August 19, 2015
  33. Julie
    Julie

Thank you so much for putting this together & sharing it! My 7yo finished this up this summer (it went perfectly with our curriculum last year) and was a nice change from how we did the states with my older girls (I was needing a change! 🙂 ). We had state bird & flower cards with our curriculum, so she cut out the bird & flower for each state, and wrote the state capitol and abbreviation on the first flap. Instead of the Nifty Fifty States page I had her use our map of the US and she colored in each state as we did it. I also had a hard time with all the flags falling out of their pocket (since there are so many) so we ended up making a little booklet to glue them into and used that instead. Similarly with the Trivia, we punched a hole in the corner and put them all on a ring to keep them more stable.
    When we came to CO (our state) we got out some extra library books and she wrote in the interesting facts she learned for the “My State” booklet.
    So fun!! Thanks again, and now she has a fun lapbook to review & share!

August 20, 2015
    • Thank you for sharing how you used this with your daughter. It makes me happy to know that others are able to personalize it and make it work for them. 🙂

August 20, 2015
  34. Julie
    Julie

Oh, I forgot to say that she glued in the state birds & flowers (& their names) on their respective flaps for each state. You probably figured that part out. 🙂

August 20, 2015
  35. Michele
    Michele

Thank you so much for this well put together resource! We are starting with our home state and then going in order of statehood. My kids are 5 and 7 and loving this. They are so excited when I tell them it’s lapbook day! BTW, this is my first experience with lapbooking and I am loving how interactive it is for learning! We are also using the Nifty Fifty States books, as well as some Dover State coloring books I found, and we are reading library books too. Thanks again!

September 12, 2015
  36. […] United States Lapbook Fun U.S. Lapbook 50 States Notebook – This is a HUGE list of resources as well as images of a sample notebook. Pre-K USA Lapbook 50 States in 50 Days – not just a lapbook, but an awesome resource. […]

May 28, 2016