We received a bunch of fresh, organic Brussels Sprouts in our Bountiful Baskets order on Saturday, so I needed to come up with a tasty way to use them. Me? I love Brussels Sprouts. Munchkin doesn’t like them at all. D pretty much only likes them when they are roasted, but he’s still not a huge fan. I decided to do something a little different with them rather than halving them and roasting them.
I started out by cutting the base off the sprouts and then removing the outer leaves. After they were washed, I sliced them instead of cutting them in half. While I was prepping them, I melted some butter over medium heat in a cast iron pan. Once the butter was melted, I tossed the sliced Brussels sprouts in the butter. I then added garlic and seasoned with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
I cooked the Brussels sprouts until they were tender but still had a slight bite to them. After removing them from the stove, I topped them with chopped pecans and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
I thought it tasted delicious, but the moment of truth was Munchkin trying them. When she asked for seconds, I knew that I had a winner. Daddy still hasn’t tried any since I made these for lunch. It will be interesting to see what he thinks. I figure that you can’t go wrong with garlic and butter. **grin**
- 20 Brussels Sprouts (bottoms removed, outer leaves removed, slice)
- 2 Tbsp. butter (olive oil can be used for a dairy-free version)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- sea salt
- pecans/almonds/walnuts (optional)
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Melt butter over medium heat while prepping the Brussels Sprouts. Turn down heat, if needed.
- Add garlic to butter and toss in the Brussels Sprouts.
- Season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Stir to coat the Brussels Sprouts with butter and garlic.
- Turn down heat to medium low, and cook until they are tender but still bright green. (If they are browning, you can add in about ⅓ cup water and cover. This will steam the sprouts and allow for faster cooking without over browning them.)
- Serve with roughly chopped pecans/walnuts/almonds and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, if desired.