Being gluten free at Thanksgiving means that you either need to stick with naturally gluten free items or you need to do a little more planning. Since my family likes to stick with traditional Thanksgiving food, I need to plan ahead a little more when it comes to our stuffing. The preparation begins a couple of days prior to Thanksgiving since I need to make the gluten free bread and allow it to “stale” a little prior to making it into stuffing.
Gluten Free Apple and Onion Stuffing Recipe
- 1 stick butter
- 5-6 small carrots, diced
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 1 medium to large yellow, diced
- 1 green (tart) apple, roughly chopped
- 1 red (sweet) apple, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 “loaf” gluten free herb bread, cubed
- 2 to 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add butter. When butter melts, add the vegetables and apples. Sprinkle the vegetables and apples with salt and pepper. Cook 5 to 6 minutes to begin to soften vegetables and apples.
- Add bread cubes to the pan and combine. Moisten the stuffing with chicken broth until all of the bread is soft but not wet.
- Butter/oil a baking dish and fill with stuffing. (I usually just use a cast iron skillet, so it’s a one pan type of dish.)
- Bake until set and crisp on top, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot or room temperature.